****SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - EFFECTIVE 4/29/22 - WE HAVE RESUMED ACCEPTING TRADE-INS. FOR NOW ALL TRADE-INS ARE STILL LIMITED TO $100.00 OF TOTAL TRADE VALUE PER MONTH PER PERSON/HOUSEHOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. IF YOU SEND TRADES WORTH MORE THAN THIS, THEY WILL BE ADDED TO OUR QUEUE FOR PROCESSING ONCE ENOUGH TIME HAS ELAPSED.****
At Tidewater Games we accept trade-ins for any and everything video games. From the Magnavox Odyssey to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One and everything in between. If you've got a game, system, or accessory you want to trade for store credit, we'll be happy to help you out!
So how do trade-ins work at TWG? Well, each item that is eligible to be traded in has its trade value listed on its item page. So for example, if you were to look up a game that was priced at $39.99, it's trade value might be listed as $20.00. That means you'll get $20.00 in Store Credit (in the form of a coupon code), which can be used for future purchases with us. In order to trade in games to us, you have to have an account on our website (it's free to sign up). This is needed so we can make sure you get the Store Credit. You can also use the same account to make purchases from our site.
Trade values are updated periodically, so be sure to check the site for the latest values before you send us your trade. Please read through the following guidelines for trading in items to TWG. TWG reserves the right to update this page and our trade-in program's rules, regulations, and information as needed and as determined by management.
Last Updated: September 26th, 2021
Trade-In Rules & Regulations
- Please view the trade-in request form here. Fill this out and please send one copy to the address below and retain a second copy for your records.
- All trade-in credits listed (both store credit & "cash") are assumed to be for complete-in-box copies of the game/accessory/system. All items that are traded in without an original box/case will have their trade value reduced by 20%. Items without the manual (if non-digital), will be reduced by 5%. Items without the packaging's original artwork will be reduced by 5%. Items with neither the box/case & manual (if non-digital), will be reduced by 25%. Items with none of these will be reduced by 30%.
- We do not currently accept trade-ins of *ANY* new/sealed items.
- We do not currently accept trade-ins of *ANY* reproductions/fakes/etc. All traded items must be authentic. Any reproductions, etc. sent to TWG will be forfeited to TWG for no trade credit.
- Trade-ins should be in good re-sellable condition with little to no damage. You must include this form with your trade-in to receive credit. TWG reserves the right to not accept your trade-in for any reason. We do not accept damaged items for trade-ins. All trade-ins are final. If you send us a damaged item, it will not be returned to you.
- Your trade-in request with listed trade values (viewable on our website on each item's page) will be valid as long as we receive your trade within one week of the ship date. If you use incorrect trade values or no trade values, the most recent ones (viewable on our website) will be used instead.
- As of September 2021, we are temporarily implementing a monthly trade-in limit of $100.00 of trade-in credit (either, store credit, "cash," or both) per person/group/household. We hope to be able to lift this restriction eventually. If you send us more than $100.00 worth of items in a month, the item(s) that exceed(s) your monthly allowed credit will be rolled over to the next month and the credit for these items will not be received until that month.
Bannable Rules & Regulations
- TWG reserves the right to not accept your trade-in for any reason or for no reason at all. We also cannot currently accept trade-ins of multiples of the same item from the same person or group of people. All trade-ins are limited to 1 trade-in of 1 particular item per person/group/household per month.
- We also reserve the right to refuse trade-ins on merchandise which was clearly purchased from another retailer with the sole intention of trading-in.
- All items traded-in and trade-in funds will be held for 30 days before being finalized and distributed. This includes both store credit as well as "cash" (PayPal, Check, or Money Order) payments.
- Person(s) who violate these rules will be permanently banned from trading in to Tidewater Games and will forfeit any/all trade-in credit and/or pending "cash" payments.
How To Send In Your Trade-Ins
- Looking to save some money? If your trades total $20.00 or more, you're eligible to receive a free shipping label. Simply contact us with your trade request and we'll send you a label. Please note, if you wish to use a free label, you will need to provide us with the total weight and dimensions of your items once they have been packed in the box you will be sending them to us in. At this time, items or combinations of items weighing 1 lb or more are excluded from this offer. We currently do not provide free shipping labels for trades of these items as they are too expensive to ship for free.
- Send your trades to:
14104 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23609
Can I trade-in a new/sealed item?
Unfortunately no, due to laws and regulations regarding pawning items. While we'd love to accept your trade-in, we have no way of knowing if the item was stolen (even if years or decades old) or if the game disc/card/cartridge (or manual, inserts, etc.) was removed and re-sealed. We're not trying to say you stole anything, just trying to protect our company/business from a legal standpoint.Can I trade-in an item that doesn't list a trade value on the website?
For example, if you traded in a PS5, Xbox Series X|S, or Switch game that sells for $59.99 brand new, the store credit trade value would generally be around $39.00 with everything included, whereas if you chose to be paid in "cash" (i.e. PayPal, check, or money order), then the trade value would generally be around $29.00 with everything included. If the case or manual (assuming the manual isn't digital only), is missing, the trade value would be reduced.
As always, TWG holds the final say in what is or isn't allowed to be traded in. Any items that are not allowed for trade-ins, will be returned to you unless otherwise stated.It depends. We do not accept trade-ins on things like T-Shirts, Hats, Wallets, Magnets, Cups, etc. If you have a game, system, accessory, book, magazine, or guide that's not listed on our website, you're welcome to contact us and we'll give you a trade-in estimate.
I don't want Store Credit, can I get a PayPal payment, check, or money order instead?
Yes! As of December 2018, TWG is offering PayPal, check, and money order payments for trade-ins! However, these trade-ins will receive 25% less value than our Store Credit ones. So for example, if an item's Store Credit value is $20.00, you will only receive $15.00 if you select to be paid by PayPal, check, or money order.
I found the same item with a higher trade value elsewhere, will you match it?
Yes, Tidewater Games will meet or beat most advertised trade-in values for any items we accept trades for. For example, if you were wanting to trade a game that had a listed value of $50.00 and you found the same game on another website or in a store flyer or e-mail and it showed $55.00 for the trade value, we'll give you the higher trade value of $55.00 or perhaps even more depending on the demand for/supply of the item(s) you're trading.
For our purposes, advertised means the trade-in value has to be listed somewhere on the business's website, in a printed store sale advertisement/flyer, or in an official e-mail from that business. To get your trade matched or receive more, you must send us the link to where the item's trade value is viewable on their website, or forward us the e-mail you received.
Please Note: TWG holds the final say on what is considered a valid advertised trade-in value.
How are your trade-in values determined?
We use a variety of factors to determine our trade-in values. One such factor is supply & demand. If we have 20 copies of Madden NFL 18 and 1 copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Zelda game will likely have a higher trade value because we have less of it available.
Similarly, if lots of people are looking to purchase used copies of an item, that will make the trade value higher because we want you to trade in your items so we can fill other customers orders/requests.
The trade values shown on our website for new products assume that you are trading in a complete copy of the game, system, accessory, or other item (i.e. you've included the game, manual [if the game comes with one in new copies], and case/box). TWG reserves the right to lower your trade value if these items are not included with your trade.
For used products, the trade value shown assumes you are trading in only the game, system, accessory, or other item. If you happen to have the manual or box/case, TWG reserves the right to offer you additional trade credit for those items if you also wish to trade those to us.
I have a question, comment, or concern that's not listed here. Can you help me?
Sure! Simply visit our contact us page or give us a call at 1-866-TWGAMES during business hours (M-F: 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST/EDT or Sat-Sun: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST/EDT) and we'll do our best to help you.
- All items you wish to trade to TWG must be in good, salable condition. Damaged items (not including minor problems) are ineligible for trade.
- All items must be in the NTSC (North American) format. At this time, we do not accept trades for PAL (Europe, Australia, etc.) and NTSC-J (Japan) formatted items. If you send us PAL or NTSC-J items, they will be returned to you upon your request, at your expense, or you may forfeit them to TWG for no trade credit.
- All trade-in items will be tested by TWG staff. If an item you sent us doesn't work during our test, we will re-test it two more times and if it fails all three times, that item will be ineligible for trade and will be forfeited to TWG for no trade value/Store Credit.
- Please make sure you pack your trade-in items carefully. We are not responsible for trade-ins damaged while they are in transit to us.
- If your trade-in item(s) is/are damaged when we receive it/them, your item(s) will be ineligible for trade.
- To receive your Store Credit, you are required to fill out our Trade-In Request Form in its entirety (minus the order #, date, customer ID, and received by TWG fields). This form must be included with any/all trade-ins you send us. If your trades require more than one box, you must include a separate form for each box.
- TWG reserves the right to decline any trade of any game, system, accessory, or other item for any reason. All trades are final, we do not return damaged items. Trade values are updated periodically.
- Trade-in values on your Trade-In Request Form are valid for up to one week. We must receive your trade within a week of the ship date, otherwise the trade values shown on our website at the time your trade is received will be used.
- Unless otherwise stated, trade-in credits and/or store credits, are valid until used in full.
- If you are a Tide Breaker Member, you're eligible to receive bonus trade-in credit. Regular members get 5% bonus trade-in credit on any trade-ins. Super members get a 15% bonus and Mega members get a 25% bonus. For more info on our Tide Breaker Membership program, click here.
- If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please e-mail us via our contact us page or give us a call at 1-866-TWGAMES during business hours, M-F: 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST/EDT or Sat-Sun: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST/EDT.